Spray or smear?
Since I started working at Lekker, one of the questions I get asked most often is "isn't that weird to smear something on your armpit with your finger?". My answer: yes and no.
We are currently doing a test to measure how much longer our cream deo lasts than a 'normal' deo, and for that I went on a trip down memory lane and temporarily switched back to my old friend, the spray can. An aluminium-free variant, though, because even for a test, there are limits. A good time to compare my own experience with our cream deo with the well-known spray can.
The first thing I notice is that the aerosol deodorant is terribly cold when it comes out of the can. I honestly can't remember if I experienced this the same way before I got used to the cream deodorant. This is due to the principle of adiabatic expansion. For anyone who, like me, dropped chemistry sometime during high school: this means that when the pressure is released from the aerosol, all the energy and heat is taken from the environment. Your armpit, that is. The alcohol present also keeps the spot cold for longer.
Personally, this does not make me very hot. Admittedly, the first time you use cream deo it also feels quite uncomfortable. But soon you realise that touching your own body is not weird at all, while showering, for instance, we do it every day. You don't have to worry about your hygiene either. Any bacteria that might be on your hands are immediately wiped out by the baking soda or zinc salt.
For me, deodorant is something personal and something intimate. Therefore, when using the spray, I immediately get a "toilet freshener feeling". Just as a toilet freshener betrays that it was a number two, my girlfriend now cannot enter the bathroom without a whiff of my deo. This is because only 11% of the spray actually gets on your skin. The other 89% is a gift to your environment. Very unfortunate for my friend who does not use spray deo herself and for our cat Salvador who also likes natural scents more.
So are cream deos odourless? Definitely not. In Lekker's deodorants, scents are, but not overpowering. Because you can target very precisely the right spots in your armpits with the cream, such a jar lasts for 2-3 months!
The winner from the spray(can)
Even before I started working at The Lekker Company, I was a big fan of our jars. The use gets used quickly, the smell is nice and what remains are 100% natural ingredients in a recyclable jacket. Still not convinced? Our test shows that our cream deo lasts about 2 - 2.5 times longer. So you're also financially well off.
We are used to sticking with the familiar, even if in the meantime the reasons for using it have disappeared. At The Lekker Company, we make our products uncompromisingly to contribute to a better world. Our mission is to initiate positive behavioural change. Pot by pot. Will you also take the next step?